Patrick McLaughlin MD is a Professor of Radiation Oncology at the University of Michigan. He is the Director of Radiation Oncology at the Providence Affiliate of the University of Michigan. He completed a medical oncology fellowship at the University of Michigan, immediately migrating to radiation oncology. He is board certified in medical and radiation oncology.
His major research interest is in technical advances in prostate cancer radiation (internal and external). This work culminated in the development of vessel sparing radiation, the radiation equivalent to nerve sparing surgery. In 2016 sexual preservation approaching 90% was reported in Lancet Oncology (see Functional Anatomy and Vessel-Sparing Radiation video). He continues intensive technical research with the goal of full function preservation following radiation.
In addition to radiation research he proposed the right brain, left brain, soul brain model of holistic care, realized in brick and mortar spaces at the Assarian Cancer Center. This model proposes that different personalities need very different elements to come to peace. This is presented in brief at naut7.com under Healing Arts.
His personal statement:
I am a proud father of 4 grown children with three grandchildren. I am an amateur musician, composer, and an avid golfer. While my research has been technical, the joy of medicine for me is witnessing the profound adaptations of patients and families to the challenge of serious illness. Some of the most important things I know about life I have learned from my patients. I have a career-long log of stories I will be publishing online in serial installments at naut7.com under the title Prognosis: Cure, Control, Coexist, and Escape. I have posted the introduction and monthly additions will follow. I have written a eulogy and musical tribute to one remarkable patient named Katherine, posted in the Music section of naut7.com, titled Tribute to Katherine. I have also written a musical about the role of personality in prostate treatment decisions, that is available at inmyprostate.com.
- Functional Anatomy in Prostate Cancer Treatment Planning
- Bachelors Degree Wayne State University 1977
- Medical Degree: Wayne State University 1981
- Internal Medicine: Beaumont Hospital 1984
- Medical Oncology: University of Michigan 1987
- Radiation Oncology University of Michigan 1990
Board Certifications & Licenses:
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- VA Medical Center (University of Michigan) 1990-92
- Providence Cancer Centers 1992-present
Peer Reviewed Publications (Recent):
- McLaughlin PW, Narayana V Progress in Low Dose Rate Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer Semin Radiat Oncol 30:39−48 2019
- Lee JY, Spratt DE, Liss AL, McLaughlin PW: Vessel-sparing radiation and functional anatomy-based preservation for erectile function after prostate radiotherapy. Lancet Oncol 17(5): e198-208, 2016. PM27301047
- Shilkrut M, McLaughlin PW, Merrick GS, Vainshtein JM, Hamstra DA: Treatment Outcomes in Very High-risk Prostate Cancer Treated by Dose-escalated and Combined-Modality Radiation Therapy. Am J Clin Oncol 39(2): 181-8, 2016. PM24517957
- Soni P, Berline A, Venkatesan A, McLaughlin P, Magnetic resonance imaging-guided functional anatomy approach to prostate brachytherapy Brachytherapy 2017 698-714
- McLaughlin PW, Liss AL, Nguyen PL, Assimos DG, D'Amico AV, Gottschalk AR, Gustafson GS, Keole SR, Liauw SL, Lloyd S, Movsas B, Prestidge BR, Showalter TN, Taira AV, Vapiwala N, Davis BJ; Expert Panel on Radiation OncologyProstate. ACR Appropriateness Criteria Locally Advanced, High-Risk Prostate Cancer Am J Clin Onc 2017 Feb;40(1):1-10. doi: 10.109
- Moghanaki D, Turkbey B, Vapiwala N, Ehdaie B, Frank SJ,McLaughlin PW, Harisinghani M. Advances in Prostate Cancer Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Positron Emission Tomography-Computed Tomography for Staging and Radiotherapy Treatment Planning Semin Radiat Oncol. 2017 Jan;27(1):21-33. doi: 10.1016/j.semradonc.2016.08.008. Epub 2016 Aug 31.PMID: 27986208
- Zaorsky NG, Showalter TN, Ezzell GA, Nguyen PL, Assimos DG, D'Amico AV, Gottschalk AR, Gustafson GS, Keole SR, Liauw SL, Lloyd S,McLaughlin PW, Movsas B, Prestidge BR, Taira AV, Vapiwala N, Davis BJ. ACR Appropriateness Criteria for External Beam Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning for Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer, Part II of II Adv Radiat Oncol. 2017 Mar 20;2(3):437-454. doi: 10.1016/j.adro.2017.03.003. eCollection 2017 Jul-Sep.PMID: 29114613
- Venkatesan AM, Stafford RJ, Duran C, Soni PD, Berlin A,McLaughlin PW.Prostate magnetic imaging for brachytherapists: Anatomy and technique 2017 Jul-Aug;16(4):679-687. doi: 10.1016/j.brachy.2016.12.013. Epub 2017 Feb 23.PMID: 28237429
- Davis BJ, Taira AV, Nguyen PL, Assimos DG, D'Amico AV, Gottschalk AR, Gustafson GS, Keole SR, Liauw SL, Lloyd S,McLaughlin PW, Movsas B, Prestidge BR, Showalter TN, Vapiwala N. ACR Appropriateness Criteria: Permanent source brachytherapy for prostate cancer 2017 Mar-Apr;16(2):266-276. doi: 10.1016/j.brachy.2016.10.002. Epub 2016 Dec 7.PMID: 27964905
- Abugharib AE, Dess RT, Soni PD, Narayana V, Evans C, Gaber MS, Feng FY, McLaughlin PW, Spratt DE. External Beam Radiation Therapy With or Without Low-Dose-Rate Brachytherapy: Analysis of Favorable and Unfavorable Intermediate-Risk Prostate Cancer Patients Brachytherapy. 2017 Jul-Aug;16(4):782-789. doi: 10.1016/j.brachy.2017.04.001. Epub 2017 May 9.PMID: 28499487
Patrick McLaughlin MD
Assarian Cancer Center
47601 Grand River
The Modern Definition of Successful Cancer Treatment: Cure with Quality of Life
Approaches to Individualized Patient Advocacy